Friday, August 10, 2012

Polycom APIs & Android Smartphone & Tablets

I have written several articles regarding the new set of Polycom infrastructure APIs. I have tested these APIs on desktop , web applications... But some analysts forecast that the end of PC is closed (The PC Era is over)... So, I tested these APIs on a mobile platform.
I had two options Android or iOS as illustrated in the latest IDC Smartphone OS Market Share:


Chart: Worldwide Smartphone OS Market Share, 2Q 2012Description: Tags: Author: IDCcharts powered by iCharts

In a first time, I have selected Android, because Android is based on Java, so it is more easy for me...
But, because Polycom Infrastructure APIs are based on REST, they can be used on any platforms via any languages...

"Call My Team" Application

I wanted to illustrate/test two things in that application.
  • Ability to generate a multipoint call via a smartphone application using Polycom DMA APIs
  • Voice Recognition capability of Android
Application on my HTC Desire

When I click on "Call My Team", I send multiple POST commands.
  • Start-Conference - It activates the conference for the specified conference room, in my case 81255. That's a VMR I have created on my DMA.
  • Add Participants - It creates and initiates a dial out to a new conference participant.
Some participants are hard-coded in the application, but I can also enter a participant IP address.
That could be your RPM IP address or your HDX at the office.

That's cool, but sometimes you prefer to speak instead of typing a button, Android provides a Voice Recognition SDK. So, instead of having multiple button, like I have for multiple calls, I just have to click on "Voice Recognition" button and say "Call My Team" or "Call Vincent"... And, BOOOOM...


I have just used that nice tutorial about that SDK (here).
That application is just an example. It has been done in a couple of hours.
I have leveraged the work I have done in my other applications.
I just had one difficult thing to setup: HTTPs socket against a self-signed DMA certificate.
I recommend that tutorial (here) on that topic.

You can see here the same kind of application on Android, more professional...



That's a new example of the power of the Polycom Infrastructure APIs....

P.S: The name of that app is copyrighted by Dominique Perret :) :)

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool - would love to see a swipe demo of adding a contact to a call

    ReplyDelete